You cannot simply stick a shovel in the dirt and build a swimming pool. Nor can you build a deck or add a room onto your house. Zoning laws in various municipalities vary and you need to work with your pool contractor to ensure you’re not breaking any laws. What kind of permits do you need for your pool project? As mentioned, they are different depending on where you live — village, country, middle of the city — for example.

There are various nuances, the swimming pool contractors from Imperial Pools, Inc. in Decatur, IL explain. Our contractors are well-versed in the type of building permits necessary and they will help you navigate the waters to obtain the permits.

During the pool project you can also expect visits by code and zoning enforcement officers to ensure the project is adhering to all construction requirements and that everything is safe and that plumbing and electric installations meet code. Municipalities have different levels of the paperwork required and the involvement of local zoning officers for the project.

What kind of permits do you need for your pool project?

Before you break ground on any project, the local code enforcement officer needs to be involved and it may require you and your pool contractor attending a meeting to present the construction plans. Work with a pool contractor who will either attend for you, with you or let you know what you need when you attend.

You may be required to talk with and obtain permission from neighbors to have a pool constructed — that is rare, but does happen.

There may be rules and regulations as to what size the pool can be and you need to know what those are before you opt for a pool project that will be rejected by the municipality. The local rules may determine how close the pool can sit next to property lines or even how close it can be to your home.

The rules and regulations may seem over the top, cut remember that codes were implemented to ensure minimum construction requirements are adhered to; that is a protection for both you and your neighbors.

When meeting with the code officer you will want to talk about the entire scope of the project — deck, outdoor living space, outdoor kitchen, etc. even if you don’t plan to have it all constructed up front — it’s best to know whether it would pass the zoning board regulations so you can make adjustments now.