Swimming pool filters will need to be changed and/or cleaned regularly. The frequency of that happening will depend on how clean the water is kept and how many people use the pool and how diligent you are about keeping the pool cover on. How to clean the pool cartridge filter is something the pool contractors from Imperial Pools in Champaign, Illinois do for their customers or they can teach you to do it yourself.
What does the pool filter do?
The pool filter is the heart of the pool and captures dirt and debris from the pool and removes it from the water. Once the filter gets too dirty to do its job effectively and it will need to be cleaned or replaced.
How to clean a pool cartridge filter
One of the first ways you will know that the filter needs to be cleaned is if you notice the PSI on the pool pump increasing. An increase in the pounds per square inch (PSI) indicates the pump is working harder than it has to and the filter is the likely culprit. Ask us what the PSI should be for your particular pool pump.
Here is how to clean the pool cartridge
- Turn off the pump and the electricity to the system.
- Open the filter tank
- Remove the filter cartridge from the tank
- Inspect the cartridge for signs of wear and tear (this will help determine whether it can be cleaned or if it needs to be replaced)
- Remove any dirt and debris from the cartridge
- Clean it and rinse it
- Put the filter back in and start it back up.
- Test the pressure on the filter to assure it’s in the correct ranges once you’ve reassembled the filter
If you have any questions on how to clean and when to clean the pool filter cartridge you can definitely give us a call and we can clean it or show you how to clean it yourself.