Imperial Pool Builders, serving Decatur & Champaign, IL offer swim with your dog tips
If you own a swimming pool you may be wondering whether your dog can join you. One question you need to ask is do your dogs like swmming? If they do, then they can join you as long as you take precautions to keep them safe. You will also want to talk with your pool service contractor from Imperial Pools and let him know your dogs will be joining you as that may lead to changes in the pool water chemistry that he will need to address.
Do your dogs like swimming?
Before your dog jumps into the pool with you, ask yourself this:
- Your dog will bring in dirt, debris and bacteria – more than three humans’ worth, especially if your dog is long haired and spends a lot of time outside.
- A pool is a “closed system” and that means the water will be recirculated, so whatever your dog brings in will stay in the water for 24 hours. Make sure you clean the pool skimmer basket frequently when your dog joins you.
- You might want to have a large capacity filter that can accommodate dog hair and debris.
- Your dog’s skin can become red, irritated or dry from the chemicals. Rinse him off once he gets out of the water.
- Add a ramp so your dog can get in and out of the pool on his own.
- Not all dogs like water and that they can also get tired out quickly. You may want to put a pet life vest on him when he’s around the pool.
- Your dog’s nails can damage a pool liner; keep that in mind if he joins you.
Don’t forget to let us know if your dog will be joining in the family fun in the swimming pool so we can adjust the hemical levels or the cleaning schedule to accommodate that activity.